PRETKONFERENCIJSKI PROGRAM: 1. – 3. rujna 2021. – online:
15. KONGRES ICMS-a: odgođen za 15. – 19. lipnja 2022.
organized by Eero Tarasti and Joan Grimalt, will take place at the Escola Superior de Música de Catalunya in Barcelona, from 15 to 19 June 2022, under the auspices of the International Association for Semiotic Studies (IASS), the International Semiotics Institute (ISI) and the Academy of Cultural Heritages.
The International Congress on Musical Signification (ICMS) is a biannual congress on recent developments and future trends in the studies of musical meaning. It is the major platform of the project of Musical Signification, launched in Paris in 1984, and susequently directed for 34 years so far by Eero Tarasti at the University of Helsinki.
Performance and musical signification
Musical Signification and Performance In conservatoires and universities, the urgent need for an efficient diffusion and a practical application of the study of musical signification is acutely felt. A musicological, solidly based reflection on the expressive values of music is still under-represented in most music teaching institutions around the world. General music studies should incorporate musical signification and help interpreters and teachers to find reliable tools to support their intuition. Papers relating performance and musical signification will be favoured, but those dealing with any issues concerning musical signification are also warmly welcome.
Call for papers
20-minute papers and presentations are invited on topics relating to any of the above congress themes along with those addressing broader notions of musical signification and semiotics.
- Abstracts of up to 500 words (saved as MS Word) should be submitted online by February 4th 2020.
- The main language of the conference is English, but French and Spanish are accepted as well.
- Abstracts should be accompanied by a short biographical note of no more than 150 words.
- Please include the following information: Name, surname, institutional affiliation, title of proposal, abstract and up to five key-words